top of page

Altered Pages Male Birthday Cards

The Crafter's Workshop Wanderlust

Hi everyone, today I'm on The Crafter's Workshop blog with a set of cards (including matching envelopes), suitable for the guys in your life! I feel that it’s a little bit more difficult to create male cards, then female cards, and I bet that I’m not the only one, so, I figured I would give you some idea’s!


The Crafter’s Workshop provided me with some product to create this project. The opinions I share are solely my own. This post also contains affiliate links.


My card base for today is a square craft coloured card base 15 x 15 cm in size. I decided on which size dies I wanted to use for my mats and then first resized and printed one of the Altered Pages collage sheets, this particular one is called “1724 Collage Backgrounds Green“, onto some 160 gr Digital Colour Printing paper from Clairefontaine. Then I die cut my smallest background panel with one the square dies that I selected. I edged these die cut squares with Distress Ink in the colour “Evergreen Bough“ to give them a more defined edge. I also die cut a larger stitched square panel from some off white card stock that’s about the same colour as the embossing paste that I planned on using later on. Now that my base is ready I can go to the next step.

I selected the images that I wanted to use on top of the background, resized them when necessary and printed them on the same Clairefontaine paper. I choose two collage sheets from Altered Pages for this: “2605 Fly with Steam“ and “3068 50‘ Technology“. I fussy cut around the images that I wanted to use with normal scissors and edges with the same Evergreen Bough ink and also with VersaMagic “Wheat“ ink.

Then I made a slight detour: I felt that the card base was a little to boring so I placed one of The Crafter’s Workshop stencils called “Riveted“ (TCW745s) over the card base and applied some Memento “Espresso Truffle ink“ over the area’s that would be visible. I replaced the stencil to cover the other edge of the card base.

Later on I also decided on edging the card base with the same colour ink.

I also worked on the matching envelopes: I placed The Crafter’s Workshop stencil called “Wanderlust“ (TCW744s) over the edge of the envelope and applied the same Espresso Truffle ink over part of the stencil to create a nice design (making sure that I had enough room left to put on the address details for the recipient).

Next I started working on the card again: I decided about the lay out of the images that I cut out but didn’t adhere them to the project yet! Then I placed the Wanderlust stencil over the images and applied The Crafter’s Workshop “(white) Modeling Paste “ (TCW9005) with a palette knife over the stencil (but not the “maps“ part). I took the images of while drying. When this was dry I also applied embossing paste over the “maps“ part of the stencil and set the panel aside to dry again.

This results in part of the embossing paste being visible on top of the images and part of the embossing paste being tucked under the images, which creates an interesting focal point for the eye.

To ad additional interest to the background I splattered on some FineTec Pearl Color in the colour “Red Brown“ on one of the smaller square card panels and “Inka Gold“ on the other square card panel. After this had dried I could adhere the two square mats together using liquid glue.

I also created a mat for some of the images using craft coloured and reddish brown coloured card stock. I adhered the images on top of their mats using liquid glue, free hand cut around the images and edged the card stock using the same Espresso Truffle ink. Now I can adhere these layers on my cards, for this I used one millimetre foam tape to create a bit more dimension.

For my sentiment I choose one of the sentiments in the Clearly Besottted “Say What?“ stamp set, stamped this onto some vellum twice with Versafine “Onyx Black“ ink and clear heat embossed. Then I die cut two banners from the vellum piece using the biggest die in the CreaLies “Double Fun no 1“ die set.

I adhered the banners on the front with see through tape runner, folding it around the back and adhering it there with regular tape.

And to finish these cards I just had to adhere the combined mats to the craft card base using one millimetre thick foam tape.

And that’s it for today’s project! I wish you’ll a creative day!

Thank you Altered Pages for providing the design team with these awesome images.

We would love to see what you create with The Crafter‘s Workshop Stencils and Mediums. You can share it with us on our Facebook page, Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest using hashtag #tcwstencillove.

I would like to submit this project to the following challenges:

- Creative Artiste Challenge: Anything Mixed Media Goes:

- We love 2 create: Anything Creative / Mixed Media Goes:

#TheCraftersWorkshopRiveted #TheCraftersWorkshopWanderlust #AlteredPages #ClearlyBesottedSayWhat #CreaLiesDoubleFunno1 #TheCraftersWorkshopModelingPaste

bottom of page