Hi everyone, I'm very excited to be showing you today's project since it's my first project published for Lindy's Stamp Gang as a Design Team Member! Today's project is a fun art journal page, inspired by this month’s Lindy’s Stamp Gang colour challenge mood board. From this month on there are three colour challenge hues that you have to incorporate in your project using Lindy’s Stamp Gang colours! Isn't this a fabulous idea? I know it was a challenge for me for sure to make the colours of January work together well, so I’m very curious what you guys will come up with! I bet your projects will be fabulous! And there are some awesome prizes to be won as well!
This is what this month's mood board looks like:
Today I’m working in an art journal that contains pages with a yellow aged look in the size 21,5 x 28 centimetres. I started by pencilling in the quote that I wanted to use with a graphite pencil, and when I liked what I had, I went over the lines using a black Faber Castell “PITT Artist Pen” (s). This ink is waterproof when dry.
Next I added some torn pieces of sticky backed “Mixed Media Art Tape” (Rebekah Meier by Therm-O-Web) and I applied some The Crafter’s Workshop “White Modeling Paste” over a The Crafter’s Workshop stencil (TCW804s) using a palette knife, for some fun texture and interest in the background, and set that aside to dry. After it had dried sufficiently I added some staples here and there, just because I felt like it would add to the design I was going for!
Now it’s time to add colour to my project: I started with the bottom part of the page and sprinkled some Lindy’s Stamp Gang Magical Shaker in “Bratwurst Brown” on the project, then I added water by spraying with a spray bottle filled with water. When I liked what I had I dried with my heat tool. This procedure I repeated several times until I was happy! I totally love the shimmer this gorgeous warm brown magical shaker colour has!
Next I worked on the top part of my page but I started with the green colour that I wanted to use on my project: Lindy’s Stamp Gang Spray in “Aloha Avocado”. I applied the colour with a brush and sprayed with water, working in layers and drying in between. I worked mainly on the mixed media tape part that is most to the right. You can make all the colours as dark or as light as you like, I like them pretty intense!
Then I applied the grey colour that I wanted to use on the other pieces of mixed media tape in the same way. For this I choose a Lindy’s Stamp Gang Spray called “I’m Late, I’m Late Slate”. I also applied this colour on the sides of the pages in some area’s to make them a little darker and to make the connection between the bottom and top part of the page.
Next I added some of the brown colour that I used on the bottom part also to the top part of my project and I finished the background (for now) by splattering with the green colour spray. This will also connect the top and bottom part of my page together. I use a smaller sized brush to create the splatters!
Now I’m going to work on some of the focal elements for my project: I stamped images from the AALL & Create stamp sets “Chess Pieces” and “Chess Art” onto Canson “XL Watercolor” paper using Versafine “Onyx Black” ink and then I coloured the images, using a small brush, with the same grey and green LSG sprays that I also used on my background, working in layers until I was happy with the results.
I ended up tearing the largest stamped image in two because in the original state it was almost as large as the width of my page and that really didn’t look nice.
I die cut around the smaller chess pieces and and I cut and distressed the edges of the largest images.
Next I die cut a fun design using a large background die (by Amy Design) from the same watercolor paper, and tearing it in shapes that I liked. Then I used VersaMark ink and the gorgeous Lindy’s Stamp Gang Embossing Powders in “Oakleaf Olive” and “Queen Sheba’s Silver” on the different elements. On some pieces I used two layers of the silver embossing powder and on the other pieces I used two layers of the green embossing powder and finished with one layer of the silver embossing powder.
Because I felt that the art journal page itself needed a bit more of a defined edge I applied some Memento Ink in “Espresso Truffle” to parts of the edges that I felt needed this. For this I used a foam applicator tool. Some area’s needed even more darkening so I applied a little of the black ink that I used for stamping here and there in the same way.
Now I’m ready to finish my project: I created mats for my chess elements using black card stock and then adhered all the elements to my page using liquid glue and staples.
I love how this project turned out in the end and it was indeed a fabulous challenge!
Some detail pictures:
I wish you a creative day!
LSG products I used on this project: