Hi everyone, today I’m on the Colourstock blog with a fun experiment: I tried alcohol ink on Yupo paper (which is not really paper, it’s a non porous synthetic with the feel of glossy paper) for the first time! I had a lot of fun and I needed to do a lot of cleaning afterwards!
First of all, protect your work surface! I can’t stress this enough!
I worked on two A4 sized sheets of Yupo. I used Copic Various Inks (which are the Copic refills) for this technique, as well as 96% isopropyl alcohol (but a higher percentage would be better I have read, but this is what I had) and Pinata metallic alcohol ink in the colour “Brass” (you can use the Ranger Metallic Mixatives as well).
I also had a couple of small plastic shot glasses (they are pink by them self, not from the ink that I used) in which I poured some of the Copic Various Ink: I used RV06 and R29 for this particular project (you can use any colours that you have, just make sure that combined they don’t make a mud colour, unless that’s what you want). I added a little of the alcohol to the shot glasses as well, using a pipette (you create more of the same colour, the colour will still be strong). I also have one shot glass of alcohol.
Then the fun part start: I added some of the red alcohol ink with a pipette to the project first as well as a couple of droplets of alcohol, also using the pipette. Then I blow the colour around using my hair dryer. You only have a limited time frame before the colour dries. What I already was fearing indeed happened, my hair dryer is too strong. I couldn’t create the soft edges that I was going for, but I still had fun, so I went for a different result. Next I added some of the pink alcohol ink and repeated the procedure. You can always add more alcohol or colour if you please! I wouldn’t recommend a heat tool, because the paper doesn’t like the heat (I only used in for the sentiment, in short blasts).
I kept adding layers, also adding in some of the Brass metallic colour and I stopped when I liked the results that I had. The same way I also worked on the second piece of A4 sized Yupo paper.
It’s obvious that I need more practice but I really loved the colour combination I had used.
And next time I will try blowing through a straw or find a different way to move the colour around to create softer edges.
I intentionally covered more of the second paper then I did with the first one because I wanted to use these papers in my art journal and was planning to add a stamped image on top.
Then it was time to clean my work surface and desk because the hair dryer had blown the alcohol ink everywhere! Also a good reason to use a different method next time!
Next I cut each A4 sheet to the size that I needed for my art journal (meaning 2 pieces of 14,5 x 20,5 centimetres, about half of each sheet). Now it looks like this, I love these bright colours combined with the metallic one! The left over pieces I can use for a different project or testing!
Then I stamped the flower image from the Penny Black stamp called “Rose Bowl” onto Copic friendly paper using Memento “Tuxedo Black” ink and let that dry. Then I coloured the image using my Copic Sketch markers, choosing colours that went well with my background. I used the following Copic numbers: E50, E00, R12, YR02, E13, G20, YG03, YG17, G28, YG99, RV0000, RV10, RV02, RV06, RV09, RV55, R14, R29, RV69, RV99 and W5.
When I was done colouring I added back in some highlights using a white Gelly Roll Pen.
I fussy cut the stamped image leaving a border, to create contrast with my background. Then I adhered the stamped and coloured image to the left hand part of my art journal page using one millimetre thick foam tape. Then I stamped on the right hand page using Versafine Ink in “Onyx Black”and I clear heat embossed afterwards (because the ink will not dry on this paper otherwise, I prefer not to use Staz On). The text stamp was a gift at a craft show (limited edition), but you can use any stamp that speaks to you!
To finish this page I edged some parts of the sides of the Yupo panels using Archival Ink in “Vermillion” with a foam applicator tool and then I adhered the pages to my art journal using The Crafter’s Workshop “Matte Gel Medium” and a brush (wash the brush afterwards).
Some detail pictures:
I totally love how this page turned out! I will sure do more experiments in the future!
I wish you a creative day!