Hi everyone, today I’m sharing my first project for this years guest design series for Crealies with you all and today I’m creating a set of Christmas cards.
To get my first card started I die cut a square panel two sizes smaller than my card base using the Crea-Nest-Lies XXL die set no 22 from Strathmore Bristol Smooth Surface card stock. Next I applied some Distress Ink in the colour “Mowed Lawn” over the panel, mainly on the bottom part, using a stencil brush. With such a brush you can create a smooth transition without hard line edges. Onto the panel I also stamped with the same colour of ink using the Bits & Pieces “Old Handwriting 3 lines” stamp, for the lighter coloured stamping I first stamped of some of the ink onto a scrap piece of paper. Dry the panel well with your heat tool (because otherwise the embossing powder will stick to the wet areas later on).
Since I know how large the previously created panel is I can now design the background that I’m going to stamp over the green design created in Step 1. For this I take a piece of squared paper (each square is 5x5 mm), this paper I cut to size for my stamping tool (which is a MISTI regular size), you can use whatever stamping tool you have. Next I draw the outline of the used square die onto this sheet, followed by placing three sets of stamps the way I like my design to look like (I used the Bits & Pieces Xl stamp sets in “Trees”, “Stars” and “Baubles” for this). Two things I considered here are that not two of the same symbols where next to each other, and each symbol should almost touch the outer edge of my background panel.
After placing all the symbols the way I liked them I closed the door of my MISTI stamping tool, opened it again, which takes the stamps with it. Now I can place the created background panel into the stamping tool. I can only stamp once because there is fairly little room for my magnets on the panel. I apply some anti-static powder over the entire panel, followed by stamping all the symbols at once using VersaMark ink (which is a sticky ink). Now I can add some gold embossing powder over the stamped designs and melt the powder with my heat tool (I used Ranger “Queen’s Gold” embossing powder, you can use whatever gold embossing powder you have that matches your glitter paper).
Next I adhered this square panel with liquid glue onto a slightly larger mat created from some dark greenish/teal card stock (use whatever card stock matches with you teal vellum well) using the Crea-Nest-Lies XXL no 8 die set.
Now it’s time to focus on the rest of my card design: I decided to use the Alfies “Alfabet Capitals and shadows” die set to create my sentiment with. I die cut the capitals from gold glitter card stock from my stash and the shadows from teal coloured vellum (you can use teal coloured card stock or colour the regular vellum yourself in the colour you want (on the backside) using alcohol makers. I adhered the capitals and the shadows together using a little bit of liquid glue.
The final text I adhered onto the combined square panels also using a little liquid glue, you can make sure you work in a straight line by using a T-ruler. This combination I than adhered onto a creme coloured linen textured card base using one millimetre thick foam tape and to finish this first card project I added some sequins in different sizes and colours (gold an brown) using Ranger Medium Matte in the small bottle.
I started this card by die cutting three different baubles from glitter card stock using the Cardzz “Elements Baubles” die set. I also used one of the other dies in this same set to create the background parts for the baubles using the same teal coloured vellum as mentioned in today’s first card project. I adhered these elements together using a little liquid glue.
Next I die cut the baubles again, this time from brown glitter card stock (use whatever you have and like), but this time I used the inner parts of the baubles that I throw away when I cut the gold part. I also use the tiny circles die cut from the hanging part of the bauble and adhered them to one of the baubles for some extra little detail. Adhere these brown die cut parts onto your already created baubles using a little liquid glue.
Now that my focal points are ready I can work on the background design: for this I die cut a rectangle panel two sizes smaller than my card base from Strathmore Bristol Smooth Surface card stock using the Crea-Nest-Lies XXL no 24 die set. Onto this panel I stamped my sentiment which is from the Text & Co stamp set “Warm Drinks B” using black ink. Next I again applied some of the green ink as mentioned in my first card project and I also stamped the old handwriting again in the same way as mentioned in the first card.
To finish the background with some extra fun details I created splatters using a Coliro Pearl Color in “Bronze” using a brush and let that dry.
Next I die cut a slightly larger rectangle panel from the same dark greenish/teal card stock as mentioned in my first card using the Crea-Nest-Lies XXL no 10 die set and liquid glue.
Next I adhered some matching green twine from my stash onto the baubles, I adhered the baubles onto the combined panels using one millimetre thick foam tape (behind the brown parts of the baubles) and wrapped the twine over the top and adhered on the back using regular tape.
To finish this card project I now only have to adhere this combination onto a creme coloured linen textured card base also using one millimetre thick foam tape.
And that is it for today’s Christmas cards! I wish you a creative day!
Crealies products used on today’s cards: