Hi everyone, when I was going through my craft stash recently I found some nice Dutch Doobadoo Shape Art stencils. So, I figured I could create something fun with one of them! Let’s get started!
I wanted to start easy so I did not create a folded card design this time. I placed the Dutch Doobadoo stencil (called “Square”) on my craft card stock and traced the line of the size shape that I picked, using a graphite pencil. I cut out the design using my scissors.
I also created the same two designs in a smaller version on white linen textured card stock and on design paper (also from my stash) in the same way.
Next I stamped the flower image from a The Ton stamp set called “Coming up Daisies” on Spectrum Noir “Premium Marker Pad” paper using Spectrum Noir Finesse Alcohol Proof Ink in “Pebble” (which is a dark brown ink). I fussy cut the image, leaving a small border. I also cut out the inside parts with a craft knife.
Before starting my colouring process for the flower I decided on my embellishments: I took some purplish ribbon from my stash, cut it to size, added some brown twine and created an embellishment like you can see in the picture, totally easy! I also die cut two banner shapes, one from the same craft card stock as the card base and one, slightly larger from some green design paper.
On the craft one I will stamp my sentiment using the same brown ink that I used to stamp the flowers with and the sentiment is from the an Altenew stamp set called “Needlework Motif”.
Now that I know what colours will be in my background I will colour the stamped flower image: I used a combination of Spectrum Noir Illustrator alcohol markers and Spectrum Noir ColourBlend coloured pencils.
I started with a very light colour: the “Lilac” alcohol marker, using a brush stroke motion starting from the base of each petal, turning my paper around as I go.
To darken the petal colour I then used a layer of “Deep Pink” in combination with a little bit of “Pear Green” to create more dimension in my project. Going over these colours again with the lighter “Lilac” colour to blend them together.
Here I have added some “Regal” alcohol marker directly around the hearts of each flower (were visible), to create even more depth.
For the hearts of the flowers I used some “Soft Brown” in combination with a little bit of the “Regal” colour. I also worked on my first layer of the leafs using the “Willow” alcohol marker.
Deepening the green leaves using “Pear Green” and “Forest Green”, finishing with a bit of the “Willow” colour to blend the greens together on the edges.
I don’t know if it is really visible in the picture but in real life it looks really nice that I added some coloured pencil over parts of the flower petals and around the flower design. I picked a coloured pencil that is closest to the background design paper: “Linen”. And I also brightened the flower petals a little using the “Pink Blush” coloured pencil over the alcohol marker, but not on all petals.
This step is of course optional: I always like to add back in some highlights using a white gel pen. Scribble on a piece of scrap paper if the pen doesn’t work well and try again. Now my flower is done!
To create some fun added elements on my project I first distressed the edges of my previously cut out card shapes, using an edge distresser (but you can also use your scissors) and than I edged each panel with an ink colour in combination with a foam applicator tool.
For the green banner I used Spectrum Noir Water-Reactive Ink in “Grasshopper”. For the craft and pink panel, as well as the craft banner, I used the brown ink that I used to stamp with. And for the white panel I used Distress Ink in “Dusty Concord”.
Next I adhered the white panel to the craft panel using liquid glue.
On the pink background panel I stamped some script pieces using the same brown ink that I used before in combination with a the Darkroom Door background stamp that’s called “French Script”.
I also adhered both banners to my project using liquid glue. I placed the Dutch Doobadoo stencil back on and cut of the piece that would stick out outside of the white card shape layer.
Now I can adhere the previously two panel combinations onto each other using liquid glue and I used a stapler to adhere the previously created ribbon/twine combo. To finish of the background I created splatters using the Coliro Pearl Color in “Apple Green” (by Finetec GmbH), using a brush, and let that dry.
And to finish my project I now only have to adhere the coloured flower image on top, using one millimetre thick foam tape and to balance the project out I also used the stapler on the bottom of the flower!
I totally love how this project turned out! I wish you a creative day!