top of page

Flowery Shape Art Card

Hi everyone, today I used my second Dutch Doobadoo Shape Art template (and there are more in the mail on their way to me)! These are so much fun to decorate!

Step 1:

I started my project by tracing the largest design of this template (which is called “Diamond”/470.713.101) onto some periwinkle blue card stock, using a graphite pencil. Then I cut out the shape using my scissors and erased the pencil lines.

This I also did with a piece of crème coloured linen textured card stock and a piece of green design paper, each shape smaller than the previous one.

Next I stamped the flower images from the Gina K. Designs stamp set called “You Make Me Smile” onto some Strathmore Bristol Smooth Surface Paper, using Versafine “Onyx Black” ink and I clear heat embossed afterwards. This way my lines stay black and crisp, no matter how much water I add.

I fussy cut the flower image leaving a small border and I also cut out the inner parts of the image using a craft knife.

Step 2:

On the green design paper panel I added an additional design using a The Crafter’s Workshop stencil (TCW907s) and some TCW “Grecian Gold Modeling Paste” in combination with a palette knife, and set that aside to dry.

From the periwinkle blue card stock I also die cut a banner using one of the dies in the Spellbinders Shapeabilities “Victorian Tags” die set. The inner part for this banner I die cut from the same crème coloured card stock that I used before, but from the backside, because that is smoother and easier to stamp on. For my sentiment I picked one of the stamps from the Simon Says Stamp “Tiny Words” stamp set.

Step 3:

Now I’m going to colour my focal point, which is the previously stamped flower image:

today I’m using my Spectrum Noir Aqua Markers in combination with a water brush.

I started with the colour “Azure Blue”, applied the colour to the paper in an area were I felt the shadow would be, when the sun would hit the flower from the top left hand corner, working on each petal separately. This way I coloured each of the petals, washing the colour outwards, with the water from the water brush. I cleaned of my brush on a piece of paper kitchen towel in between petals or when I felt it was necessary.

To darken my blue colour I added some Aqua Marker in the colour “Navy”. The darker the colour the more potent it is, so you only have to add a little bit, to deepen the shadow areas of each petal.

Step 4:

For the heart of the flower I picked the colour “Jasmine”, and I also added a little of this colour to some of the petals to create a more dimensional look. If you feel you added too much, take the colour of with a paper kitchen towel and water from the brush (press, not rub!), wait for it to dry, and apply some of the blue again. I find aqua markers very easy to work with and the colours are super-vibrant!

Step 5:

For the leaves I first applied some of the “Olive” Aqua Marker in the same way as I did with the petals.

And over this colour I applied some of the “Moss” colour. I pick colours that match the papers that I have already chosen before.

Step 6:

To finish the colouring process I added back in some highlights using a white gel pen. And this is what my finished flower image looks like now!

Step 7:

Back to the background papers: I edged each element using the following ink colours in combination with a foam applicator tool. For the green panel I used Spectrum Noir Water-Reactive Ink in “Pine Tree”, for the crème elements I used Spectrum Noir Water-Reactive Ink in “Sandstorm” and for the blue elements I used Distress Ink in “Chipped Sapphire”.

Step 8:

I adhered the banner parts together using liquid glue. Then I adhered the flower image on top using regular tape. I also adhered the crème background panel to the periwinkle blue panel using liquid glue.

Step 9:

Next I adhered the green background design paper panel on top of the previously combined panels, also using liquid glue and I adhered some crème coloured twine of top using regular tape.

Step 10:

And to finish my project I now only have to adhere the combined banner/flower image on top using one millimetre thick foam tape, and I used a stapler for an added finishing touch on the stem of the flower!

Detail picture:

And that is it for another shaped art card project! I wish you a creative day!

bottom of page