Genie in the Lamp



Hi everyone, today I’m showing you this set of fun cards, of which one is for my boyfriend for our anniversary. This is such an unusual stamp set that I had to have it when I saw it for sale and the included sentiments match wonderfully.

Let’s get started!



Step 1:

I started my project by stamping all the images from the Hero Arts “Make a Wish” stamp set onto Strathmore Bristol Smooth Surface paper using black ink and I heat embossed afterwards using clear embossing powder. This way my black lines stay black and crisp, no matter how much water I add.


Today I’m colouring with my Spectrum Noir Aqua Markers in combination with a water brush.


For skin I used the colours Peach and Clay (sparingly) to give the genies a more sun tanned look.

For the reds I used a combination of Flame Red and Sepia.

For the Greens I used Bud Green and Moss for the images itself and with a very light hand around the images I used Leaf Green.

For my yellows I used Gold and Jasmine.

For the hair of the girl genie I used Terracotta and Chocolate.

For the purples I used Heather and Prussian Blue.

I keep adding layers of colour until I’m happy with how the image looks. When I’m done with the colouring I add back in some highlights using a white gel pen. Next I fussy cut the images leaving a small border.


All the colours that I used on today’s project can be found in the sets: Essentials, Primary, Floral, Brights and Earth. You can find all the Aqua Markers that are available HERE!




Step 2:

Now that my focal points are ready I can work on my backgrounds: for this I die cut one square and one rectangle panel, each two sizes smaller than my card bases. I created the lay out that I desired and stamped the sentiments, the large ones are from the same stamp set that the genies come in and the little sentiment on the card for my boy friend is added from the Clearly Besotted “Many Mini Messages” stamp set.


I also stamped two little hearts next to the sentiments on the card for my boy friend using the heart image in the Newton’s Nook “Newton Loves Coffee” stamp set. For the yellow ink I used Spectrum Noir Harmony Water-Reactive ink in the colour “Honey Pot”.


Next I took my stencil of choice (which is Maremi Small Art “Scales”) and applied first a bit of the SN Harmony Water Reactive ink in “Spring Meadow” and than more inwards over that a bit of the “Grasshopper” ink colour using a stencil brush.


You can find all the ink pads that I used HERE!


To add more interest to my background design I than added some Imagination Crafts Sparkle Medium in the colour “Champagne” over the same stencil onto the background for my boyfriends card using a palette knife and for the other card I created splatters using the SN Metallic Ink in “Gold Plate” using a brush, and let that dry.






Step 3:

Now it is time to put my cards together: I die cut a matching deep red square panel as well as a matching purple rectangle panel, both one size larger than the previous panels. These I adhered together using liquid glue. Than I adhered these combined panels to creme coloured matching card bases using one millimetre thick foam tape.


And to finish my cards I now only have to adhere the coloured images on top also using one millimetre thick foam tape.


That is it for today’s card project, I wish you a creative day!