Hi everyone, today I would like to share another art journal page in my Jenine’s Mindful Art Slimline Art Journal with you all. I felt like I don’t use my Gel Press Plate enough (I think because I don’t have a lot of control about the outcome of the project) and I went outside my comfort zone and used it! Very proud of myself with the end result.
In general, during the printing process I used the following materials:
I used a large size Gel Press Plate, a Speedball soft brayer, thicker but smooth paper to pull my prints and regular printer paper to roll my brayer of on. Of course I also used acrylic paint and stencils/stamps.
I used the following colours of acrylic paints: Ara Titanium Buff Light, Gelli Arts Snowbound, Freshwater, Kiwi and Mixed Berries and Americana DecoArt Marigold, Petal Pink, Peacock Teal and Light Cinnamon.
Stencils I used: Jenine’s Mindful Art “Floral Mandala’s” and “MASKJMA05”.
The stamp I used: Jenine’s Mindful Art: JMA-NA-STAMP21.
A sprayer bottle cap to create the rounded shapes and some bubble wrap plastic.
I pulled a bunch of prints and than they lay around for some days, because although I liked what I created, what to do with them next?
Finally I decided to use parts of the prints as backgrounds for my art journal and cut them to size. I even used a printer paper piece but because the paper is thin I adhered it onto a black page in my slimline journal.
On what was left I started stamping using a bunch of Jenine’s Mindful Art stamps and some of these you will see in future projects. For today’s project I used the large rose image from the STAMPJMA21 stamp.
I stamped on the gel press prints using Versafine Onyx Black ink and I heat embossed directly afterwards using clear embossing powder (the ink stays wet for a period of time because I stamped onto acrylic paint).
And from the smaller left over pieces I die cut the nicest parts to use as backgrounds for some card projects.
I matched one stamped image and one art journal page together that I felt would go well together. To enhance the stamped rose design I wanted to add some more colour but what medium to pick that adheres well to acrylic paint? In the end I picked Derwent Inktense blocks/paint pan travel set and combined colours that I had and matched my project: I used: Fuchsia, Dark Plum, Shiraz, Ion. Green, Light Olive and Apple Green. I also added in some highlights using a white gel pen.
I totally love the result this gave. Frankly if I had known how well this would work I didn’t even had to cut the image out but that is a lesson learned for the next time. I cut the image with my scissors and went around the edges using a black Memento marker.
Time to work on my background: I started by stamping with the new JMA “Script & Splatter” background stamp onto my journal page using black ink. I didn’t use the entire image but picked bits and pieces here and there, making sure I didn’t completely stamp over the stencilled design that you can see in the background.
Next I picked some sentiments from the STICKERJMA04 sticker book (which is completely in Dutch) and adhered them onto matching pink mirror card stock and cut them out, I also added some colour to the sentiments using my Spectrum Noir AB1 alcohol marker, to make it less white.
My next step is to distress the edges of my journal page using an edge distresser tool (but you can use your scissors as well). After distressing the edges I applied some Archival ink in Plum and a little Jet Black using a foam applicator tool.
Followed by creating spletters using a Coliro Pearl Colour in Tibet Gold in combination with a brush.
To finish the project I die cut some reinforcements using matching card stock and using the Crealies CLJP650 Binder Reinforcement Shapes die set and I adhered the rose image on top using one millimetre thick foam tape and liquid glue.
And that is it for today’s gel press project! I wish you a creative day!