Hi everyone, today I would like to show you all how I created this fun boy/masculine birthday card project. The main image is by Mo’s Digital Pencil (“Video Boy”) which I printed onto alcohol marker friendly paper.
I started by colouring the skin, using the following Spectrum Noir Illustrator alcohol markers: FS7, TN1, TN2 and CR1. Like always I pretend that my light source is in the top left hand corner. Usually area’s like the nose, the cheeks and the top parts of the arms will be in the light, and area’s where the hair is covering the face and the bottom parts of the arms are in the shadow and therefore darker.
I usually map out first where the darker area’s are using the lighter toned markers. This also means that you add the darker tones next in the shadow parts, over the lighter colours that I added first, and work them out towards the lighter parts of the skin using the lighter toned markers.
Next are his jeans: I used TB1, TB4, TB5 and TB8. Legs are round shapes, so some parts will be in the light and other parts will be in the dark. Add more dark tones if you feel that your contrast, between light and dark, is not strong enough!
For the other smaller items in the image I used the following colours: HB1, HB3, LY1, CR5, CR7, IG2, IG5 and EB8. How do I pick my colours? : I always have my swatch card ready at hand and then figure out what colours go well together, you can try these out on scrap paper if you are not certain. I also wanted the smaller items not to be my main focus so I choose lighter colours for them.
For his shirt I picked red: I used PP4, DR2 and DR5. This image already gives you a lot of the folds and shadow area’s so it’s really easy to colour.
For his hair I used FS9, EB5 and EB8.
And for the background I used LY1, FS9 and RB2.
When all the colouring is done I added in some highlights using a white gel pen.
You can find all the Spectrum Noir Illustrator markers that I used on today’s project HERE!
I fussy cut around the image leaving a border.
Now that my focal image is done I can concentrate on creating the background panel: I die cut a rectangle panel two sizes smaller than my card base and stamped my sentiment (Kaisercraft “Background Birthday Sentiments”) onto the panel using Spectrum Noir Finesse Alcohol Proof ink in “Noir Black”.
Next I placed a The Crafter’s Workshop stencil (TCW5018) onto the background panel and applied some Spectrum Noir Harmony Water-Reactive Ink in “Sandstorm” and “Straw Bale” over the stencil using a Spectrum Noir Blending Tool, working outwards without adding any new ink for a soft transition.
Lastly I created some splatters on the background using Spectrum Noir Liquid Metallic Ink in “Antique Bronze”, using a brush and dried the panel with my heat tool.
Time to put my card project together: I die cut a slightly larger rectangle panel from some matching deep red card stock and adhered both panels together using liquid glue. This combination I adhered to a crème coloured card base using one millimetre thick foam tape. And to finish my masculine card I only have to adhere the coloured and fussy cut image on top using one millimetre thick foam tape.
And that’s it for today’s fun project. I wish you a creative day!