Hi everyone, today I would like to show you a step by step colouring tutorial where I use Daniel Smith watercolours paints, for both the image and the background. Daniel Smith is a really good quality watercolour paint and a little bit will go a long way!
I started my project by adding some anti-static powder to a piece of Clairefontaine Paint On á Grain (with the blue characters) Multi-Techniques paper, this will prevent that the clear embossing powder will adhere everywhere (where you have touched the paper for example) and not only to the stamped image. Then I stamped an image from Impression Obsession (H8889) twice onto this paper using Versafine Onyx Black ink and clear heat embossing afterwards. This way the lines stay crisp and black no matter how much water I add.
Then I start colouring the image with a light mix of Daniel Smith watercolour paint in Quin. Pink and lots of water, deciding where my highlights and shadows will go.
My next layer is a mix of Quin. Pink and Opera Pink darkening and brightening some of the shadow area’s.
Here I first added a layer of Carmine and then, when dry, I mixed Opera Pink with a little of Quin. Pink to brighten some area’s more. As you can see I like my watercolours not in a light wash but deep and vibrant.
To create even more shadow area’s I mixed Carmine with Payne’s Blue Gray and added that mix where I felt I needed it. This particular paper can’t take endless washes but it holds up nicely if you don’t scrub to much and I like that it's bright white.
Then I started colouring the green area’s: first with a thin layer of Hooker’s Green, deciding where my shadows should go.
And then darkening up these shadow area’s with more Hooker’s Green and then a layer of Hooker’s Green mixed with Payne’s Blue Gray. As you can see Payne’s Blue Gray is a good colour to darken any colour to create a darker hue.
I decided I wanted my background to be purple so I added some really watered down Quin. Purple around the entire image.
This is what the completed painted flower image looks like.
I did the same with the second flower and then fussy cut both stamped and coloured images, leaving a small border.
For my background I first die cut a square panel from the same Clairefontaine Multi Techniques paper. On this paper I added a couple of thinned down layers with Quin. Purple, drying in between (using my heat tool) until I liked what I had. When the paper dried to soon I sprayed with water before the paint was dry, this makes the colour run. You can dab colour/water away with a paper kitchen towel if it runs to area’s where you don’t want to have that much colour, just dab, don’t rub (then you will damage the paper).
When I was happy with the background and it’s was completely dry I mixed some Payne’s Blue Gray with a little water and created splatters on the background, using a brush.
Now I’m ready to put my card together: I die cut a slightly larger mat from matching green card stock. Then I stamped my sentiment (Marianne Design, Eline’s Words) onto some black card stock using VersaMark ink and heat embossing with gold embossing powder. The sentiment reads “Just a Little Card from Me” in Dutch. With a Crealies flag die (you can use any die in this shape you have that fits the sentiment, or use your scissors) I die cut around the sentiment.
Then I adhered the two square panels together using liquid glue, adhered the flower images on top using one millimetre thick foam tape and lastly added the sentiment also with one millimetre thick foam tape.
And that’s it for today’s fun Daniel Smith watercolour paint project. I wish you a creative day!