Hi everyone, today I would like to show you a technique that I showed you before but this time I’m using Copic Various Inks instead of the Ranger alcohol inks and I’m applying the inks in a different way. The Various Inks are the Copic refills.
Before you start, protect your work surface, work on a craft sheet of glass work mat. To get my project started I applied three colours of the Copic Various ink to a piece of Yupo paper. The panel is large enough to die cut two panels for my cards from (these panels are two sizes smaller then my card base). Onto these panels I added the alcohol inks, dropping in the inks in a stripy manner (drawing lines with the colours). Then I mixed the colours, maintaining the stripy design, to create a gradient effect, using a felt applicator tool. And to finish my base panel I added some of the contrasting colour on top by stippling with the same felt tip applicator (mainly with the red alcohol ink colour). If you feel the colours don’t blend enough then you add some Activator to your felt applicator to move the colour around more easily.
I used Copic Various inks in the colours : Y08, YR18 and R29.
Now I’m die cutting two panels from the created gradient alcohol ink background. These panels are two sizes smaller then my card bases. I temporarily adhere a stencil (for today’s project I used The Crafter’s Workshop stencils “Tuscan Floral” (TCW774s) and “Scrollwork” (TCW781s)) over one of the panels using removable tape. Then I applied some Activator to my glass work surface and picked it up with a foam applicator tool (in the picture I show the felt applicator but after testing I felt that the foam applicator worked faster) to apply the Activator over the stencil, removing the colour to reveal the stencil design. For a faint design you apply less Activator in the same area and for more contrast you can use more Activator.
Now I’m going to work on the rest of my card design: I stamped two flower images onto Schut Terschelling Glad/Smooth watercolour paper using Versafine “Onyx Black” ink and clear heat embossing afterwards (you have to stamps several times over the same lines, use a stamping tool like a MISTI, and then work fast because the ink will dry fast on this absorbent paper), this way my lines will stay dark and crisp. I used a Gina K Designs stamp set called “Thank you Friend” and a Clearly Besotted stamp set called “Beautiful Friend”.
Then I coloured the images using my Daniel Smith watercolour paints: for the Gina K image I used: Quin. Sienna, Quin. Deep Gold, Carmine, Sap Green and Payne’s Blue Gray. For the Clearly Besotted image I used: Quin. Sienna, Carmine, Payne’s Blue Gray, Quin. Magenta, Quin. Deep Gold, Hooker’s Green, Pht. Blue Green Shade and Pht. Green Blue Shade.
I can mix the colours in the metal palette I store my paints in but when I work at home I prefer working on a porcelain plate.
When the colouring was done I added in some highlights using a white Gelly Roll Pen and fussy cut the images out, leaving a small border.
Next I’m working on my sentiment strips: for this I choose vellum and I clear heat embossed over black stamped ink (I prefer Versafine “Onyx Black” for this). My sentiments are from a Clearly Besotted stamp set called “Many Mini Messages” and a Simon Says Stamp stamp set called “Tiny Words”. I also created to matching green mats, slightly larger then my alcohol ink background panel.
Now I can put my cards together: I adhered both rectangle panels together using liquid glue. Then I wrapped the sentiment strips around the panels and adhered on the back using regular tape. This combination I adhered to my peach coloured card base using one millimetre thick foam tape and then finished the cards by adhering the flower images on top also using one millimetre thick foam tape.
Some detail pictures:
And that’s it for today’s project! I wish you a creative day!